Sometimes all you need for a party is some imagination. That'll certainly come in handy when organising a fancy dress party, but just in case you're stuck for ideas, here's our top five favourite fancy dress party themes.
- 'When I grow up I want to be...' – A butcher or ballet dancer, Trappist monk or trapeze artist - whichever your real or pretend dream profession, this theme can be interpreted in so many ways it's a no-brainer for guests. Our favourites have included a McDonald's employee and Paris Hilton!
- 'Heroes and Villains' – Speaks for itself, except that you can include superheroes (ladies think Catwoman, gents think The Joker) or personal heroes, which have been known to include anything from Santa to Margaret Thatcher.
- 'The Oscars' – Whether straight red carpet glamour or characters from Oscar-winning movies, Oscar-style chic has many possibilities. Try 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' or 'Apocalypse Now' for some Oscar heritage, or 'Titanic and 'Slumdog Millionaire' for more recent fancy dress inspiration.
- 'Animals' – Open to all sorts of fun interpretations, animal themes are normally saved for the 'saucy cat', 'cheeky lion' or huge foamy rented outfit. However, with a little clever tailoring and a bag of accessories, you can do a passable impression of a peacock, fish or monkey with very little effort. If you're creative enough, you can get away with anything!
- 'Black and White' – This almost-effortless theme is a favourite for those less excited by fancy dress, but can be great for the Uber-imaginative too. Anything black and/or white goes, from the little black dress or black tie suave to a full-on fantasy White Queen or Gandalf.